If you wish to apply for a driver’s license at the MVD Alabama, you must request an appointment on the official website, as this is the only procedure for which an appointment must be scheduled. The driver’s license is requested from the ALEA (Alabama Law Enforcement Agency), and, in order to avoid crowds and long lines and hours of waiting, you must request an appointment in advance.
One of the advantages that the ALEA provides to the MVD is that you can complete most of the paperwork online, without the need to leave your home or go to a MVD Alabama office.
It is worth mentioning that MVD is the Division of Motor Vehicles, better known as DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), the entity in charge of processing different procedures related to vehicles and their drivers, in addition to other procedures in the state of Alabama.
To request an appointment with the MVD Alabama, you must first fill out a pre-application form, which you will find on the ALEA website.
What documents do I need to show at the MVD Alabama?
- 1 What documents do I need to show at the MVD Alabama?
- 2 How to request an appointment with the MVD Alabama
- 3 What MVD Alabama services can I perform online?
- 4 DMV Alabama contact information
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
Here is a list of the documents that will be required at the time you go to a MVD office to apply for a driver’s license.
- Passport or birth certificate.
- Social Security Number, which can be a Social Security Card or W-2 form.
- Documents proving that the applicant resides in Alabama, this can be a utility bill, such as a gas, telephone, water, or internet bill, or a lease.
TIP: You will be able to carry out your procedure without delay by having this documentation on hand.
How to request an appointment with the MVD Alabama
To request an appointment, you must first complete the pre-registration and then appear at a MVD Alabama office at the appointed time and date with the completed and printed application.
- Log on to the official MVD Alabama website by clicking here.
- Begin the pre-application to request the appointment by accepting the conditions and captcha, as shown in the image.
- Enter the personal information requested.
- Enter your demographic information.
- Indicate if you are applying for a commercial license, and the requested data, shown in the image.
- Fill in your residential address information.
- Indicate if you have previously held a driver’s license in other state than Alabama.
- Indicate if you wish to add an emergency contact.
- Select the documents you will present at the time of appointment, as shown in the sample image.
- Verify that the information provided is correct and click on “Submit”.
- Finally, you will receive a message notifying you that your pre-application form has been sent to your email address.
- Next, print the application confirmation, or make a note of the confirmation code, to avoid any possible inconveniences when you go to the MVD Alabama office.
What MVD Alabama services can I perform online?
A long time ago, the only option to carry out any transaction was in person, in any office of the corresponding entity. This has changed with the advance of technology and, nowadays, it is possible to carry out multiple transactions from the Internet.
This happens with the MVD Alabama, since, in its official website, you can carry out different procedures without the need to leave the comfort of your home and having to spend a whole day waiting for your turn to be attended.
Among the most frequent services offered by the MVD Alabama on its website, you will find:
Plan Your Visit
- Pre-Apply for an Alabama License, ID, or Permit.
- Schedule a Driver License Appointment.
- Find an ALEA Driver License Office.
- View STAR ID (REAL ID) Information.
- Renew or Duplicate My Card.
- Renew or Duplicate My Commercial Permit (CLP).
- Reprint a License, ID, or Permit Recently Purchased Online.
- View My Online Services.
- Change My Address.
- Update My Emergency Contact.
- View My License, ID, or Permit Standing.
- Submit My DOT Medical Card or Self-Certification.
- View My DOT Medical Card or Self-Certification.
- View My TSA HAZMAT Background Check.
Suspended License Help
- Reinstatement Services.
- View/Download Recent Reinstatement Letter.
- Request a Hearing.
- Apply for a Hardship Driver License.
- Mandatory Liability Insurance (MLI) Login.
Driver Records and Accidents
- Purchase My Driver Record.
- View/Download Recently Purchased Driver Record.
- Purchase Crash Report.
- View/Download Recently Purchased Crash Report.
- Submit an Accident Claim.
- Private High School DTSE Instructor Portal.
- Driver License Forms.
- Driver License Manuals.
DMV Alabama contact information
DPS: PO Box 1471. Montgomery, AL. 36102.
Find your local address by clicking in this link.
Email and mailing address
- Mailing addresss: click in this link.
- Email: [email protected]
- MVD: (334) 242-9000.
- DPS: (334) 676-6003.
From Monday to Friday. From 8:00 to 16:30 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I receive my driver’s license?
From the day you apply for your driver’s license, you should receive it within 30 days.
What do I do if I did not receive my driver’s license after 30 days?
If you have not received your permanent license within 30 days, you should contact DPS at (800) 499-1667.
If you need more information about DMV offices, go to this link and find the DMV office located in your county and closest to where you live.
If you live in Utah, for example, you can click on the corresponding state to learn more about how to request a DMV appointment in, for example, Washington, or Vermont, as well as other information that will be extremely helpful if you need to complete a DMV procedure.