Do you live in California and need to make an appointment at the DMV California, but don’t know how to do it? Don’t worry, from dmvappointment.net, we will tell you, in this article, everything you need to know to make an appointment and be able to complete the necessary paperwork required by the DMV California.
It is worth mentioning that the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) is the entity in charge of everything related to the documentation of vehicles and their drivers, such as, for example, the registration of a car, or the driver’s license.
Why should I request an appointment with the California DMV?
- 1 Why should I request an appointment with the California DMV?
- 2 How to request an appointment with the California DMV
- 3 What documents should I bring to the DMV California appointment?
- 4 How to apply for the new Real ID in California
As you may already know, in order to carry out different procedures at most government entities, it is necessary to request an appointment in advance, to avoid endless lines and unnecessary crowds.
This is possible thanks to the DMV California system, where you can request an appointment online. All you need is a mobile device with an internet connection, and you can complete this procedure (and others, which we will mention later) without leaving your home.
How to request an appointment with the California DMV
To schedule this appointment with the DMV California, you have several options. You can schedule an appointment by phone, by going to the DMV office closest to where you live or you can also do it online. Let’s take a look at each of the options.
- Access the official DMV California website by clicking on this link.
- Log in with your account (or register if you don’t have one).
- Select which process you wish to complete. It can be Online Services, Driver’s License/Identification, Vehicle Registration or Schedule your appointment, among others.
- Click on “Appointments” and you will see the different options available.
- You can schedule an appointment for an exam, renew your license, make changes, payments or request a duplicate license.
- Select the procedure you wish to perform, enter your data and select the date of the appointment.
If this operation is difficult for you, you can write to “Miles“, the virtual assistant that the California DMV has on its website. Just click on the bottom right button, “Ask DMV”.
Then, a new window will open so that you can write to “Miles” and he will advise you on how to request your appointment.
By phone or in person at an office
To request an appointment, you can call the telephone number of the DMV California office in your county or, if you prefer, you can go to the office in person.
To find the telephone numbers and addresses of the California DMV offices in the county in which you reside, just follow these simple steps:
- Go to the “Locations” section of the California DMV website. You can access it by clicking here.
- Next, enter the requested data, you can enter your exact location, in the “Locate me” section, entering only your zip code or state, and optionally, the service -procedure- you wish to perform.
- On the next screen you will see all the information of the office closest to you, so that you can call or go to the address indicated by the system.
IMPORTANT: Each DMV California office has an appointment-only reservation system, as there are some procedures that can be done online, by phone or by mail.
What documents should I bring to the DMV California appointment?
The documentation you need to present at the time of your appointment varies depending on the procedure you decide to take. For example, if you need a travel ID or to apply for a Real ID-compatible driver’s license, you will need to show a number of required documents:
- Proof of identification, such as passport or birth certificate, proving your U.S. citizenship or lawful presence.
- Social Security number, either a Social Security card or W-2 form.
- Two documents certifying that you are currently residing in California, this can be a lease agreement, or utility bills, such as water, electricity, gas, cable or internet.
It is important that all documents are original and stamped, if necessary. If at the time of requesting the appointment, you sent the required documentation, you must bring to the appointment, without exception, an identification card or driver’s license.
TIP: Be sure to find out which documents you must bring to the appointment, because if you do not bring everything you need, you may miss your appointment and you will have to request a new one.
How to apply for the new Real ID in California
As of May 3, 2023, all U.S. citizens who work or need access to nuclear facilities, federal buildings or take commercial flights within the country, will need a REAL ID license to be able to access, without problems, to the above mentioned.
Which are the requirements to obtain a REAL ID at DMV California?
- First of all, schedule an appointment with the DMV California to obtain your REAL ID. To do this, go back to the section at the beginning, where we explain how to request the appointment.
- To apply for your California Real ID, you can renew your driver’s license or ID card directly from the web and you will get your new Real ID.
- Present an identity document that contains your real and full name and your date of birth. It can be a passport, green card, receipts or, in the best case, a birth certificate.
- In case you do not have a California ID, or a driver’s license, you will have to go to one of the DMV offices in California, depending on the county you are in. Remember that, as we explained above, you can check the offices on the official DMV California website.
Steps to obtain your Real ID in California
If you need to get your Real ID and don’t know how, don’t worry. Below, we explain you the process step by step.
- Login with your personal information to your CA DMV account.
- Verify and gather all the required documentation to apply for the Real ID.
- Complete the online application, which you can do from this link.
- Select language, the procedure you wish to perform, and accept the terms and conditions.
- Complete the application with the requested documents.
- Save the confirmation code.
- Go to the DMV office closest to your home with the application confirmation code.
- Process your California Real ID.