If you need to make an appointment with the BMV Indiana, read this article and you will find out all the latest news about the BMV (Bureau of Motor Vehicles), which has the same function as the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in other states.
It is important to remember that the Department/Bureau of Motor Vehicles is the entity in charge of carrying out all the procedures related to vehicles, registrations and applications for driver’s licenses, modifications of personal data and taking driving tests, among others.
To request an appointment with the BMV Indiana, you have three ways to do so: by phone, online, or in person at one of the Indiana BMV offices.
BMV Indiana online services
- 1 BMV Indiana online services
- 2 How to request an appointment at the BMV Indiana: Step by Step
- 3 How to request an appointment for a driving test at the BMV Indiana
- 4 Tips for the day of the appointment
- 5 Indiana BMV contact information
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
The BMV Indiana website system has begun to offer more and more services to be performed online, without the need to leave your home. However, to perform certain procedures it is necessary to go to a BMV Indiana office.
The most frequent services that are not available online, and for which an appointment is required to visit a BMV office, are the following:
- Applicant has just moved to Indiana.
- First time driver’s license application.
- Registering a new vehicle.
- Driving test.
If you do not need to do any of the above, you should be able to do your paperwork online.
REMINDER: Don’t forget to make an appointment online, in the office or by phone.
How to request an appointment at the BMV Indiana: Step by Step
If you need to request an appointment at BMV Indiana, whether it is for the Driver’s License, Driving Test, Registrations and License Plates, Titles or Suspension and Reinstatement, among others, you will have to follow a series of simple steps, which we will discuss below.
IMPORTANT: Remember that you must present all the required information at the time of your appointment.
- Go to the official webpage of the BMV Indiana by clicking here.
- Select the “Schedule a branch appointment” option. In case you need to request an appointment for the driving test, you can do it in the option on the left.
- In the window that will appear below, select “Make an appointment“. You can also cancel or search for an appointment.
- Next, select a Branch.
- Then, choose the type of transaction you wish to perform:
- Amend Driver License/Learner Permit/Identification Card
- Commercial Driver License
- Disability Placard
- New Driver License/Learner Permit/Identification Card
- New Registration
- Renew Driver License/Learner Permit/Identification Card
- Replacement License/Learner Permit/Identification Card
- Transfer a Title
- Update to an Existing Title
6. On the next screen, you must select the date and time that is most convenient for you to attend the in-person appointment.
7. Enter your personal information and click “Continue”.
8. Confirm that the BMV Indiana appointment information is correct, and click “Set appointment“.
9. On the next screen, you will be given the confirmed appointment information.
Points to note
- You may select up to 5 transactions, due to time limitations.
- No test drive or reinstatement transactions can be performed at BMV Indiana offices.
- Print the confirmation voucher, to present at the time of your appointment.
- There are BMV Indiana counties that do not have on-site offices available, so you will only be able to complete transactions by phone.
How to request an appointment for a driving test at the BMV Indiana
In case you need to request an appointment to take the driving test, in order to obtain your driver’s license, you will need to make an appointment, as mentioned in the previous section.
IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that, in order to request an appointment with the BMV Indiana, you must do so at least 48 hours in advance, and you have a maximum of 3 weeks in advance.
If you are scheduling your BMV driving test appointment, you will need to log in, depending on the test:
- Practical Driving Test: Schedule your appointment here.
- Written driving test: Schedule your appointment from this link.
You do not need to make an appointment when it comes to a written driving test, but you should arrive at least one hour before the office closes, for example, if the office closes at 7:00 pm, you should be there at 6:00 pm.
Tips for the day of the appointment
The day of your appointment has arrived, and you should not forget some points to keep in mind.
- Arrive at the office at least 15 minutes before the scheduled time for your driving test appointment.
- Upon entering the BMV Indiana office, locate a customer service officer and ask for information about your skills test.
- The driving test is valid for two years, or until your learner’s permit expires.
Indiana BMV contact information
Not all BMV Indiana offices are open to the public. Some only take phone calls. To find out if the BMV office in your county allows in-person visits, hours, addresses and phone numbers, go to this link and select your county of residence.
Also, you can find information about how to make appointments at different BMV offices by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which are the best times to request an appointment at BMV Indiana?
We recommend, below, the most and least convenient times to head to the BMV Indiana offices.
- Mornings tend to be more crowded than afternoons.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays are less crowded than Mondays and Fridays.
- Avoid midday, as this is the lunch hour and several assessors are not available, so there will be fewer employees to serve the public.
IMPORTANT: Verify, on the official BMV Indiana website, which documents and requirements are necessary to complete your procedure, since not all of them have the same requirements.