If you are a new resident of Kentucky, or if you need to complete any DMV Kentucky-related paperwork, read on to learn all the details and a step-by-step guide so you can request your DMV Kentucky appointment without any hassle.
These processes are those necessary for the driver of motor vehicles, such as your driver’s license and everything that has to do with vehicle registration.
Requesting an appointment with the DMV Kentucky must be done over the phone, in person at the DMV office nearest you, or online, which we will discuss later.
It is worth mentioning that the DMV Kentucky is the Department of Motor Vehicles, the federal agency in charge of processing all paperwork related to drivers, driver’s license, vehicle and address modifications within the state, among others.
Which are the DMV Kentucky online services?
- 1 Which are the DMV Kentucky online services?
- 2 Information to consider before requesting a driver license appointment
- 3 How to request an appointment at DMV Kentucky: Step by Step
- 4 Recommendations for visiting the DMV Kentucky
- 5 Frequently asked questions
Currently, the official DMV Kentucky website has added a series of services that can be processed online, without the need for the applicant to leave home. Thus, long hours and waiting lines are avoided.
Among the most important services that the Kentucky DMV offers online, we can distinguish the following:
- Driver’s License
- Renew Vehicle Registration Online
- Vehicle or vessel registration, renewal and titling
- Online CDL Documentation
- Online services for carriers
- Payment of motor vehicle taxes
- Buy temporary permits
- IRP registration, license plates
- Personalized license plates
Information to consider before requesting a driver license appointment
Whether you are a new resident of Kentucky, or you already reside in Kentucky, there are procedures that require you to make an appointment in person.
- To request an appointment, you must schedule it at least 48 hours in advance.
- Regional Driver License offices are responsible for all DMV-related paperwork in Kentucky.
- Contact your nearest Regional Driver License office to verify the information you must present on the day of your appointment.
- It is not necessary to go to a Circuit Clerk’s office, as they are not the entity in charge of all driver, license and vehicle related errands.
- Click on this link to find out which Regional Driver License office is closest to you. You can also check days, hours of operation and telephone numbers, depending on the county in which you reside.
How to request an appointment at DMV Kentucky: Step by Step
- Go to the official DMV Kentucky website by clicking here.
- Go to the “Schedule an appointment” section.
- Select the DMV Kentucky office you wish to visit and click on “Schedule”.
IMPORTANT: Not all offices are walk-in offices.
- Click on “Schedule an appointment” to confirm the county in which you reside and make your appointment.
- Next, a new window will open with the available DMV Kentucky offices in each county.
- Choose the appropriate option and click “Select in person appointment“.
- You will be presented with the dates and times available at the selected office. Choose a date and time for your appointment.
- On the next page, you must complete the personal information requested (First name, last name, email and phone number).
- Click on “Submit“.
- A new screen will appear with all the information corresponding to your scheduled appointment.
Recommendations for visiting the DMV Kentucky
From dmvappointment.net, we have listed a series of tips to make your visit to the Kentucky DMV easy and without long hours of waiting.
- Print out the confirmation, or write down in a place where you won’t forget the date and time of your appointment, along with the application confirmation number.
- You can edit the data and cancel the appointment, which you should do in case you cannot attend or you have made a mistake, since someone else may need your place.
- Check if the selected office has the option to perform face-to-face procedures, as some of them can only attend by phone.
- If in doubt, call the phone number of the Kentucky DMV office you have selected. You can find out all the details of the office when you go through the process.
- Keep in mind that there are services that can be performed online, without the need to go to an office.
- Check, before going to the office, that you have all the required documents to carry out your procedure.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the appointment time.
- When you arrive at the office, ask a Kentucky DMV officer to confirm that you will complete your requested paperwork.
- If you wish to process your license or REAL ID, you do not need to make an appointment, as you can go directly to the office, but you must arrive at least one hour before the office closes. In other words, if the office closes at 4:00 pm, you must be there at least at 3:00 pm.
Frequently asked questions
Why do I have to go to a Kentucky DMV office?
If you are unable to complete your paperwork online, you will need to go to a DMV Kentucky office in your county, depending on the application. The main reasons you are required to go to an office are:
- Because you are a new Kentucky resident.
- You need to obtain your license for the first time.
- You need to register a new vehicle.
Other than these reasons, there should be no inconvenience in completing your paperwork online or over the phone.