If you live in the state of Michigan, and you need to apply for your driver’s license for the first time, you must, first of all, visit an SOS Michigan office, since this is the only procedure for which you must go in person, since the others can be done online, from the comfort of your home.
This increased with the pandemic, since no one could leave their homes, so, from the SOS Michigan, they added all the available services of the SOS in their official web page.
It is worth mentioning that the SOS is the Secretary of State, the entity in charge of processing all procedures related to vehicles, their drivers, such as licenses, driving tests or car registration, and other procedures related to the state of Michigan. The SOS is the equivalent of the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles), also in charge of everything related to vehicles in most U.S. states.
Before going in person to an SOS Michigan office, it is necessary to make an appointment beforehand, in case you want to apply for your license for the first time, and you can do it through the SOS website.
Which are the best times to request an appointment at SOS Michigan office?
- 1 Which are the best times to request an appointment at SOS Michigan office?
- 2 How to request an appointment at SOS Michigan: Step by Step
- 3 How to apply for a driver’s license for the first time at SOS Michigan
- 4 SOS Michigan contact information
- 5 Frequently asked questions
At dmvappointment.net, we recommend that you go to a SOS Michigan office during the following moments of the day, as these are the times when the personal are least crowded.
The best times to make an appointment at SOS Michigan are:
- In the morning, as afternoons are busier.
- Avoid midday, as this is the lunch time and there are fewer SOS personal available, so you will have to wait longer.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays have shorter wait times than Mondays or Fridays.
REMINDER: Don’t forget to contact the SOS by mail, email, by phone or in person, to confirm that you have all the documentation that will be required at the appointment.
How to request an appointment at SOS Michigan: Step by Step
- Go to the official SOS Michigan website.
- Locate, at the bottom of the page, the “Vehicle Services” section, as shown in the image.
- Next, click on “Schedule an Office Visit“.
- Enter your Zip Code or place of residence.
- Follow the steps to schedule a day and time for your appointment with SOS Michigan.
You can visit a Secretary of State’s office directly, where you can schedule your appointment to apply for your unannounced driver’s license. In addition, SOS Michigan staff will assist you and tell you when you can schedule your appointment, whether it is the same day or the next day, if available.
IMPORTANT: You can schedule an appointment up to six months in advance.
How to apply for a driver’s license for the first time at SOS Michigan
First and foremost, you should know that this procedure is only done at an SOS Michigan office. It is the only procedure that you cannot do online. Here is a list of steps you must follow to apply for your driver’s license for the first time.
- Look for the required documentation to request your appointment. Remember that these documents must be originals, as copies are not accepted. Also, they must be in English, or translated into English by a professional.
- The next thing to do is to submit a license or ID application online.
- Schedule an appointment to go to the SOS Michigan office. To do so, follow the steps explained in the previous section.
- It is time for your appointment at the SOS Michigan office. Now, you must present the required documentation and an eye exam must be performed.
- For drivers who are under 18 years of age applying for their driver’s license for the first time, you must pass and complete additional requirements, which are:
- Pass the Segment 2 driver’s education.
- Pass the practical driving test on the road.
- In case you are over 18 years of age and applying for your driver’s license for the first time, you will take a driving test, for which you must have practiced for 30 days with a licensed driver.
SOS Michigan contact information
- 7064 Crowner Drive. Lansing, Michigan. 48918.
If you want to send an email to the SOS Michigan, you can do so by clicking on this link.
From Monday to Friday. From 8:00 to 17:00 hs.
Frequently asked questions
Who must have a Real ID in Michigan?
As of May 3, 2023, a REAL ID will be required for people who have to make a commercial travel into the United States, to access nuclear or facilities government buildings.
What do I need to obtain my Real ID in Michigan?
If you want to get your Real ID in Michigan, you will have to meet a series of requirements.
- Requesting an appointment at a SOS office to get your REAL ID in Michigan.
- Renew your ID card or license online.
- Present proof of identity, it could be your passport, birth certificate, green card or bills), that shows your date of birth and full name.
- To apply for a Michigan REAL ID, you must take with you an identity document. It must have your real full name and day of birth on it.
- If you have never had a Michigan ID or a driver’s license, you must go to the SOS office nearest to your house, depending on your county.