If you need to request an appointment with the DMV South Carolina (SCDMV), but you don’t know how, in this article we will provide you with all the details and clear up all your doubts, so that when the appointment time comes, you can go with everything you need.
It is important to remember that the DMV is the Department of Motor Vehicles, the government agency in charge of carrying out all the procedures related to vehicle documentation, registrations, driver’s licenses, among others.
IMPORTANT: The SCDMV is also in charge of processing errands related to the state of Rhode Island.
What procedures can I do at DMV South Carolina
- 1 What procedures can I do at DMV South Carolina
- 2 How to request an appointment at DMV South Carolina: Methods
- 3 What documents do I need to bring to the South Carolina DMV appointment?
- 4 When are the best times to go to the DMV South Carolina?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5.1 What email address can I contact for further assistance?
- 5.2 How long do I have to renew my driver’s license after it expires?
- 5.3 If I just moved to South Carolina, do I need a new driver’s license?
- 5.4 Do I have to register my vehicle if I move to South Carolina?
- 5.5 How long does it take to receive my new driver’s license?
- 5.6 When will I receive my registration and license plate decals after application?
- 5.7 Related posts:
On the official DMV South Carolina website, you can find more and more options for paperwork to be done due to the pandemic, to avoid long lines and crowds.
Thus, for example, you can perform several procedures online, when before you had to go to an office. Here are some of the procedures that can be carried out online, by telephone and in person.
Thanks to the advancement of technology, the DMV South Carolina system has implemented online services that you can perform without leaving your home. All you need is a mobile device with an internet connection.
Among the procedures that you have the option to perform from the official website of the SCDMV, you can find:
- Appointment scheduling.
- Renewal and registration of vehicle titles.
- Apply for driver’s license.
- Real ID.
- Different services for vehicles.
- Forms and manuals to learn to drive.
- Different services for drivers.
How to request an appointment at DMV South Carolina: Methods
The applicant can schedule an appointment, as mentioned in the previous section, from the web, by phone and in person at a DMV South Carolina office.
From the SCDMV, an advisor will contact the applicant to remind him/her of the required documentation and confirm the appointment date. Depending on the case, you may be able to apply online and without the need to go to an office.
IMPORTANT: The driver must make the appointment up to two weeks in advance.
Here is how to request an appointment according to these methods.
- Go to the official DMV South Carolina website from this link.
- Select the option to request an appointment, you can do it directly by clicking here.
- Choose the process you wish to complete (Online Services, ID Licensing, Real ID, Business License, forms, duplicate application, examination, payment, making changes or testing, etc.).
- Schedule your appointment.
FACT: On the website, you will be able to check the hours of operation and telephone numbers of each office, depending on the county in which you reside.
In case you prefer to make an appointment by phone, you can call the DMV South Carolina number: (+1) 8038965000.
REMINDER: Check the official SCDMV website for the telephone number of each office, depending on the county in which you are located.
DMV South Carolina Offices
In case you do not want to request an appointment online or by phone, and you prefer to go to a SCDMV office, you can do so, but you must present yourself with the documentation that we will mention in the next section.
Keep in mind that not all DMV South Carolina offices have a physical branch office available, as they only allow you to apply online or over the phone.
However, most counties in South Carolina have offices available for drivers to visit in person.
TIP: Check if your county has SCDMV offices available.
What documents do I need to bring to the South Carolina DMV appointment?
To request an appointment with the SCDMV, you must first have a number of documents, whether you are applying for a driver’s license or a Real ID. Having all of the following documents on hand will make the process much quicker and easier.
These documents that you will have to present without exception are the following:
- Proof of identity, it can be the birth certificate, or passport.
- Proof of the social security number, it can be the social security card or, failing that, a W-2 form.
- Two documents showing that the applicant resides in South Carolina, such as two utility bills, such as electric, gas, water, internet or cable, or a lease.
IMPORTANT: Depending on the process, you may be required to provide more documentation than the above.
When are the best times to go to the DMV South Carolina?
At dmvappointment.net, we recommend that you visit the DMV South Carolina office at one of the following times of day to expedite the process.
- The mornings are usually less crowded.
- There are fewer employees at noon, as this is the lunch hour. Try to avoid going at this time.
- Mondays and Fridays are the busiest days for the SCDMV offices, so going on a Wednesday would be best.
Frequently Asked Questions
What email address can I contact for further assistance?
In case you need further assistance, you can write an email to the official DMV South Carolina email address, and an advisor will respond to you as soon as he or she can.
- Email: [email protected]
How long do I have to renew my driver’s license after it expires?
You have up to 9 months after your license has expired to take your tests and renew it, but remember that you cannot drive if your license is expired.
If I just moved to South Carolina, do I need a new driver’s license?
If you have just moved from one state to South Carolina, you will need to turn in your out-of-state or out-of-county license to apply for a new one at the DMV South Carolina.
Do I have to register my vehicle if I move to South Carolina?
If you have just moved to South Carolina and have a vehicle, you must register it within 45 days or you will be charged a late fee.
How long does it take to receive my new driver’s license?
After renewal, application or replacement, you should receive your new driver’s license within 1 to 3 weeks.
When will I receive my registration and license plate decals after application?
Like the driver’s license, the registration and updated decals may take up to 3 weeks to arrive.