If you are a new South Dakota resident and need to register your vehicle, or if you need to apply for a driver’s license, or renew it, you can perform these procedures, and many more, from the official website of the DPS South Dakota.
It is worth mentioning that the DPS is the Department of Public Safety, the organization in charge of carrying out all the procedures related to vehicles and their drivers, better known as “DMV” (Department of Motor Vehicles) in most of the states of the U.S. In addition, the DPS is in charge of processing different errands related to the state of South Dakota.
To request an appointment with the DPS South Dakota, you can do so by phone, in person at the DPS South Dakota office nearest you, or online.
What DPS South Dakota procedures can I complete online?
- 1 What DPS South Dakota procedures can I complete online?
- 2 What documents do I have to present at my appointment at the DPS South Dakota?
- 3 How to make an appointment at DPS South Dakota: Step-by-step
- 4 DPS South Dakota contact information
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 How do I get my license?
The DPS South Dakota has added multiple services to its website, to avoid crowds and long lines and hours of waiting, something that is extremely useful not only to avoid spending a day waiting to be served, but also was a key tool during the pandemic, since you can perform the procedures of the DPS South Dakota online, without the need to leave the house.
Among the online services offered by DPS South Dakota at its website, you will find the following:
Renew and Duplicate
- Toggle items under Renew and Duplicate.
- Renew Online.
- Renew by Mail.
- Appointment Information.
- Replacement or Duplicate.
- Upgrade Restricted Permit.
- Full-time Travelers.
Commercial Driver’s License
- Toggle items under Commercial Driver’s License.
- CDL Manual.
- CDL Medical Certification.
- Third Party Examiners.
- Hazmat Fingerprinting Locations.
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Groups.
- Farm Vehicles.
- CDL FAQs.
- Prevent Human Trafficking.
South Dakota Licensing Information
- Toggle items under South Dakota Licensing Information.
- Applications & Forms.
- Driver Education Courses.
- Driving Tests.
- Driving Manuals.
- South Dakota Point System.
- Teen Drivers.
- Aging Drivers.
- Veterans & Active Duty.
- For Physicians.
- Revoked or suspended.
- Living Will & POA.
- Schedule an Appointment.
- ID Cards.
- Motorcycle License.
- Required Documents.
- Driver Licensing Locations.
- Organ Donation.
- Titles and Registration.
- Driving Records.
What documents do I have to present at my appointment at the DPS South Dakota?
Here is a list of documents that will be required if you want to apply for a REAL ID, a driver’s license, or any other DPS South Dakota procedure.
- Proof that the applicant resides in South Dakota, this can be a lease, or a utility bill, such as a gas, telephone, internet, television or water bill.
- Social Security Number, which can be a Social Security Card or W-2 form.
- Passport, birth certificate, or document proving identity.
By having, at least, this information on hand, you will be able to complete successfully the process on the spot, without delay and, in the worst-case scenario, without having to make an appointment with the DPS again, since you have missed your turn.
How to make an appointment at DPS South Dakota: Step-by-step
- Access the official DPS South Dakota website by clicking here.
- Locate the “Schedule an appointment” option, as shown in the image below.
- To begin the application, select the service you wish to process and then click “Make an appointment“.
- On the next screen, accept the terms and conditions to continue, and press “Next”.
- Next, select the DPS South Dakota office nearest you.
- Next, select the day that is most convenient for you.
- Choose the schedule, according to the hours available at the DPS South Dakota system.
- Next, enter your personal information requested (First and last name, and date of birth).
- Fill in the requested contact information (email, cell phone number, confirmation and reminder type), and click on “Next”.
- Next, you will see all the personal information provided. If everything is correct, click on “Confirm booking” to finish the operation.
- Finally, write down or print, if possible, the confirmation number of the appointment, to avoid possible inconveniences when the time of the appointment arrives.
TIP: Write down the confirmation number, date and time in a safe place. It is important to be there at least 15 minutes before the scheduled appointment time.
DPS South Dakota contact information
- (605) 773-3018.
118 West Capitol Avenue. Pierre, SD. 57501.
Find your local agency address by clicking on this link.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my license?
You can get your license at DPS offices where they take driving tests in South Dakota. To get your license, after requesting your appointment (as explained in the section above), you need to follow these steps:
- Complete the driver’s license application form. You can download it by clicking here.
- Pay the application fee.
- Bring the required documents with you when it is time for your previously scheduled appointment.
- The examiner will need to take your photo in the office.
- You must pass an eye exam. If you do not pass, you must present a medical certificate signed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist stating that you are able to drive a vehicle. You will then proceed with the driving test.
FACT: You must obtain a score equal or higher than 80% to pass the driving test and obtain your license.